Monday, May 9, 2011

Motivated again

Well, I got my latest box on Thursday, and I am finally motivated to cook again. I've already finished off most of the asparagus and strawberries, and I can say that this asparagus is so much better than anything I bought in the store over the last four months.

But my real challenge this week was bok choy. I think last season on some of my off weeks, the family and couple shares got bok choy, but it was new to me. I discussed how to prepare it with several people, and ultimately went with a stir fry from a recipe the co-op sent out. I put it over rice and enjoyed it with some asparagus. 




Here's the recipe:

Braised Bok Choy

From An Endless Harvest, by Betty Levine.
Serves 4 to 5.

Ingredients

  • 1 bok choy or Chinese cabbage, chopped into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp honey
Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok and saute ginger and garlic for 1 minute.  Add bok choy and stir fry 3 more minutes.
Add broth, tamari, or soy sauce and honey.  Cover and cook 5 minutes.  Uncover and cook another 5 minutes or until bok choy is tender.

I estimated all the ingredients to make it for just me. I used soy sauce, but didn't have ginger, definitely think that would have added some flavor.

 

The other thing I made this weekend was Southern Living's Strawberry-Rhubarb Hand Pies. I made the entire recipe of dough, but froze half of it and just adjusted the filling to make less. They are really good, I can't stop eating them and am almost ready to make a new batch.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment