Monday, March 29, 2010

Picky eater

I say that I’m a picky eater, but when people ask me what I don’t like, it’s hard to explain it exactly but here’s my attempt.


I don’t like spicy foods and could be just fine without ethnic foods. But I can find something on a menu at a Mexican or Chinese restaurant. The perfect sandwich for me is bread, deli meat and cheese (much to the dismay of employees at sandwich shops). I like sauces and dressings “on the side” like in “When Harry Met Sally.” And I avoid gravy all together.


I eat carrots and broccoli but only raw, not steamed. I love peas from a can but despise frozen ones. I won’t go anywhere near mushrooms and avoid peppers of any color. Tomatoes are fine for salad and in soup but leave them off my sandwich.


I like fresh fruit, but I don’t really liked fruit pies, although cooked apples and apple pies are growing on me. I like yogurt but don’t eat any chunks of fruit in it. I like bananas but never buy them because there is too much pressure to eat them quickly.


I like shrimp, lobster and crab but would rather not eat fish, scallops or oysters. But I do like fried calamari.


I don’t like my food to get mixed together and casseroles and lasagna make me nervous unless I’ve made them myself. I think I'm afraid of biting into a mushroom or some other unidentified vegetable.


Typically, I don’t like chili, but I had some recently that I actually liked. I don’t eat black beans or black-eyed peas. I eat salsa but only dipping a chip and bringing it out without any chunks.


I love breakfast foods, but I only eat my eggs scrambled, never fried, boiled or deviled.


Does that explain it? I know I probably sound crazy, and some of it doesn’t even make sense. I realize that part of my problem is that I’m not willing to try many new things. That's why I think the challenge of the co-op will force me to try new things and maybe discover that things like turnips aren't so bad after all.


What are you picky about?

5 comments:

  1. hahahaha This makes me intrigued by you all the more. Were you at my dinner with the turnips? They were new for me. Glad I tried them. Glad I also found someone who loved them so I could pack them up and send 'em home with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! Great concept. I remember that you were a picky eater, but not a judgmentally picky eater. I never heard you describe another person's meal as "gross," at least not out loud. I'm picky about cheese. This is mostly due to a lactose issue (you probably didn't need to know that). I can only have small quantities of certain cheeses. It's quite a pain because so many dishes have melted cheese, cheese spreads or cheese fillings. Good luck with the blog, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you don't get bananas because of the pressure to eat them quickly. I just bought two bananas, one green and one slightly yellow, to ensure they do not over-ripen before I can eat them. Cooking for one, eating for one, and trying not let food go bad is all so difficult to coordinate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project! A few recommendations for your cooking pleasure, although you may need to adapt to your taste preferences: Tortellini with Eggplant and Pepper (http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/tortellini-eggplant-peppers-00000000006873/index.html) and Spiced Mini Burgers with Couscous Salad (http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/spiced-mini-burgers-couscous-salad-10000001720065/index.html). Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete