Monday, May 31, 2010

I'm back

From a glorious vacation that mostly consisted of sitting on this beach:

And reading (the unflattering photo is courtesy of a sibling who stole my camera):

I made it through five books during the week. After I got through the first one, which was 500 pages, I hit my stride and read about a book a day. I’m not sure I’ll make it through five books in the next six months. But when I get a hold of The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, I will disappear until I finish it; the first two (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire) were excellent, can’t-put-it-down books.

I finished each day with excellent food (a separate post to come), games with the family and a beautiful sunset.


I truly disconnected and really relaxed for the first time in a while. It seems that on every beach vacation over the last four years, I have been debating a major job decision. It was so nice not to be playing scenarios in the back of my head or be mentally preparing for a major life change. It was comforting to know I was coming home to the same job, the same apartment, the same friends, etc.

One of the great things about this location is that you arrive by ferry and all of the transportation on the island is by golf cart, which really does help you escape. But I got home this evening, unloaded my car and walked the three blocks to the market to buy milk. And I realized this is a pretty good place to come home to, especially since I don’t even need a golf cart to get to all of life’s essentials.



And hopefully a four-day week will make the transition back to real life a little easier.

So long vacation...

3 comments: