Friday, January 13, 2012

It's started

This week kicked my butt.

I knew it was going to be busy, classes start on Tuesday, but I just wasn't ready.

It turns out instead of teaching a class with eight students or co-teaching a class, I am teaching a class of 19 students by myself. While I have a lot of stuff from the previous teachers, it's still a class I haven't taught before, and I've got to have a syllabus, presentations, assignments, etc.

While I took my vacation at Christmas, which was my preference, my colleagues wanted this week before classes off. I'm starting to see the wisdom in that. So I've been the one training a new group of students that are paid to work on the production desk. And they don't know nearly as much as I thought they did. The nights have been long and intense and only a fraction of what is coming next week.

And then there is a side project with several deadlines coming up.

The thing is I don't want to complain about any of it, I know it's coming out that way, but really, I love it. I love that less than six months ago my colleagues were having to teach me stuff and I was learning from the students and now I am the expert establishing the protocol for the production desk this semester. I love that I get to teach a class on editing, which is something I'm confident in. I love the challenge of a new semester and training new students. I love what I do, even when it's stressful and exhausting.

And I have some fun things to look forward to next week that are non-work related, including seeing one of my best friends for the first time in months.

So don't worry about me, I'm doing what I love. Hopefully, I'll resurface when the craziness of a new semester starts to die down.

No comments:

Post a Comment