Monday, January 2, 2012

That was quite a year

Well, 2011 turned out to be a very different year than I expected.

This time last year I was spending 30 days listening for God's guidance in my job/career. Though I was trying to be open to what He had planned I had a put the stipulation that I didn't want to leave Virginia.

A year later, I live several states away, but I have a job I didn't even know to ask for. It's been an adventure and a challenge and more fun than I could have imagined. And I'm so grateful God led me here because it wouldn't have happened without Him.

I still miss my life in Virginia and sometimes wonder when (and where) I'll find that community again. My mom asked me the other day what I thought the purpose was in my two years in Virginia. I told her I think God was showing me what community outside the realm of college or my hometown could look like. And how great it can be. Now wherever I am, I know what I'm looking for and that it can be created.

Last year I set some goals for the year, and I honestly think they just need to be my goals every year but here's how I did.

Memorize Scripture -- I didn't do as well with the last few verses, but I have note cards with 24 verses on them. The truths in those verses became very important to me in all the circumstances I walked through this year.

Return to the gym -- On Dec. 31, 2011, I finally finished the couch to 5K program I started in January 2011! It was a start-and-stop thing, but I was more successful than usual.

Monitor my spending and save more -- I did OK with this, cutting out some things to actively save more. But then I moved and my savings account has not looked the same since.

Make better use of my time -- Not sure how to measure this, but the busier I am with work or anything the more productive I am at getting other stuff done, which has mostly been the case for the last few months.

For 2012 I'm keeping my goals simple again, here's my quick list:

Continue going to the gym
Make more of an effort to develop friendships and create community
Trust the Lord with my future while making wise decisions professionally and financially
Cook more and eat healthier

No comments:

Post a Comment