Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Never-ending cold

I used to pride myself on not getting sick -- as in colds, the flu, strep throat, etc. I had my tonsils out and sinuses cleared when I was 14, took antibiotics for acne for several years and get a flu shot almost every year. Some combination of those things has meant that I have taken only two sick days in my five years in the working world.

And in the event I do get a cold, a few days of using sinus rinse (same idea as a neti pot), several glasses of orange juice, some extra sleep and Advil Cold & Sinus seem to heal me.

But for some reason, this winter I have been struggling with a runny nose, sneezing and coughing since Thanksgiving. I was quick to blame it on allergies at my parents' house, where there is a dog, something I'm no longer used to being around. But I actually felt worse once I got back to my apartment. And while it hasn't knocked me flat on my back, it has lingered. Plus my usual remedies haven't worked. In fact the cold medicine is actually working against me. It doesn't matter if it's drowsy or non-drowsy, it keeps me up at night.

So I broke down and went to the doctor in mid-December, mostly out of fear I wouldn't get to go near my niece. And I was so hopeful. I thought I would get an antibiotic, feel better instantly and wonder why I didn't go sooner. I think I did improve and find some relief, but it did not instantly take away my symptoms. And just a few weeks later, my sinuses were stopped up again and I felt like I was back at square one.

Last week, I woke up and realized I could breathe out of my nose again. I felt like I had finally turned the corner and was going to go back to my healthy self again. But then Saturday morning I woke up with the runny nose again, and Tuesday morning my throat hurt and the cough was back.

Is everyone else dealing with the same thing and I'm just catching it over and over? I'm starting to think I'm going to have to buy hand sanitizer and actually use it. (In case you don't know, I really hate hand sanitizer -- the way it smells and feels.) Any other remedies I should be trying? 

Last winter was long because of snow, and this winter is feeling long because of sickness. I'm in favor of skipping winter altogether!

*I don't mean to whine. I know people are sicker than I am, and some of you are dealing with sick kids this winter, which I'm sure is even more frustrating. I just got home from work not feeling good and had nothing else to write about.

2 comments:

  1. the amoxicilllian didn't kill it. Go get a
    z-pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in favor of skipping winter too! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete