Friday, January 14, 2011

Out of steam

Struggling to come up with a blog post today. Here's my smattering of thoughts for the end of the week.

• My siblings and parents live in three different cities, all in different states and all south of me. They all got snowed in this week. My parents and sister are still dealing with the ramifications of eight inches of snow in my hometown. We got a minor dusting Tuesday evening. I may be eating my words if we get a major snowfall later this winter, but I was definitely thrilled it was them and not me. Of course, for them snow does actually mean a snow day, not a hike to the office.

• On my list of things to do in 2011 was cut back to the basic cable, i.e. the first 20 or so channels. Between Hulu and Netflix, I very rarely flip channels on TV, and it wasn't worth it to me to have 70-plus channels. My only concern is college football, but I thought I had waited long enough before I cut it off. But apparently, the national championship game was on ESPN, not a major network. Oh well, I think I was better off not watching it. Other than that what I really miss is the clock on the cable box in my living room.

• I had one of those, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" moments over the last two weeks. I upgraded my phone and suddenly I had to upgrade the software on my computer and start from scratch because it was recommended I erase my hard drive (I did have things backed up but it is not an easy switchover). Don't get me wrong, I love new gadgets and have been sold on Macs for years. But I'm not good with change, and it can take me a while to warm up to doing things differently. Just when I was ready to throw my computer out the window, I discovered the "faces" tool in iPhoto. Basically, it groups your photos by faces, but you have to click through and identify the faces in your pictures. I was extremely amused by the way it got people mixed up. It is pretty good, it got my dad's brothers mixed up but at least it knew they were related.


I wish I had something profound to say but I'm burned out this week. What is it about January that makes it feel like the week drags on longer than usual?

1 comment:

  1. I, too, just cut out my cable completely. I figure it'll save me some money each month, and will force me to actually declutter, clean, and read on a more regular basis. I think I'm going to miss Project Runway the most. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete