Saturday, June 26, 2010

Always go for the bacon

I've had some recipes to share, but I got distracted by the World Cup and my power was out for the second time in three weeks due to a storm.

But anyway, green beans were my challenge this week. I went immediately to Pioneer Woman because if there's a way to make them taste good, she knows it. The only problem I had was that the recipe called for bacon grease.

Here's my issue with bacon. Don't get me wrong, I love bacon. But I don't cook it at my house because it makes my whole apartment (and probably my neighbors') smell like bacon and I hate the way it lingers for the rest of the day and possibly longer. And don't tell me to get the microwave bacon because I only like my bacon crunchy. (This also makes me appreciate a $7 sandwich that has bacon on it.)

Anyway, I skipped the bacon grease and cooked the green beans in olive oil and butter with the onion, garlic, chicken broth, salt and pepper. I also skipped the red pepper because I didn't have one and I don't like peppers (so far).

But the next night in my googling for recipes I came across another green bean recipe that utilized my new potatoes and it also called for bacon. I broke down and bought bacon. And I have to say, it was totally worth it even though I went to bed with the bacon scent lingering. 



Anyway here's the recipe:

Southern Green Beans
    •    6 slices bacon, chopped
    •    3 tablespoons butter
    •    1 red onion, chopped
    •    2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped
    •    8 small new potatoes, diced
    •    1 large clove garlic, minced
    •    1/4 cup chicken broth
    •    1 1/2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
    •    salt and pepper to taste

Place the chopped bacon in a skillet, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the bacon pieces on a paper towel-lined plate.
Melt the butter in a skillet with a lid over medium-low heat, and cook and stir the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cooked bacon, green beans, potatoes, garlic, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat until the green beans are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with vinegar, salt, and pepper, and serve.

In addition to the green beans, I also made use of my tomatoes and cucumbers. One night I chopped them up, added some lemon juice and even a little goat cheese, an excellent side to my green beans and bacon.

But my favorite recipe for the tomatoes was in my Every Day Food magazine. Here's the recipe, basically make as many tomatoes as you want and adjust everything else accordingly:





Heat broiler. Place cherry tomatoes stem side up on a rimmed baking sheet (mine were more like grape tomatoes and I just threw them on the sheet). Brush with olive oil. Broil just until skins blister. In a small bowl mash goat cheese and stir in oregano. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper. With a small paring knife, cut a small opening in the top of each tomato. Stuff with goat cheese mixture.

Next up: Peaches and cherries.

1 comment:

  1. you can cook regular bacon in the microwave to the perfect crisp. It stops the pervasive smell, and the mess. It's the way we prefer it.

    ReplyDelete