Monday, August 30, 2010

Back in the kitchen

I don't even know what happened last week. It just felt like life took over, and the blog took a backseat. But after a fun trip to a women's conference and some much needed rest, I got to spend most of Sunday in the kitchen. Something I was actually looking forward to.

I tried a couple of new recipes, so I wanted to get them posted.

In my pickup this week, I got some beautiful tomatoes. Lately I've been feeling like my tomatoes have gone to waste, and my sister suggested a tomato pie. My mom sent me her recipe, and it turned out pretty well. Here's the recipe:




Tomato Pesto Tart
  • 1 sheet package refrigerated pie crust (I used one of my pie crusts from this recipe that's been in my freezer.)
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 5-6 plum/roma tomatoes, sliced (One large tomato thinly sliced works, too.)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbs. jarred Pesto (I used my homemade pesto.)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
  • 1 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped
Fit piecrust into a lightly greased 9 inch tart pan, trim off excess piecrust along edges. Prick bottom of crust with a fork.
Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, let stand 15 minutes. Arrange tomato slices over cheese.
Stir together mayo, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Spread mixture evenly over tomato slices.
Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.

For the first time in a few months, I didn't have anything in my freezer to pull out for breakfast. I finished my last peach scone Sunday morning, so I had to come up with something to eat this week.

My peaches were a little rough this week, and I figured the best way to use them before they were unusable was to put them in something. I found this simple peach muffin recipe in a Google search. It reminds me of my zucchini bread recipe, and it tastes good but the peaches don't have a strong flavor. I got white peaches this week (at least that's what I think they are), so that may have something to do with it. But the muffins taste good to me.




Peach muffins
    •    3 cups all-purpose flour
    •    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    •    1 teaspoon baking soda
    •    1 teaspoon salt
    •    1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
    •    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    •    2 cups white sugar
    •    2 cups peeled, pitted, and chopped peaches

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 16 muffin cups. (Mine made about 2 dozen medium muffins.)
In a large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, eggs, and sugar. Stir the oil mixture into the flour mixture just until moist. Fold in the peaches. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.

I'm looking forward to a quiet week, and maybe even more time in the kitchen. I've got some green beans and peppers I need to do something with.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I have enjoyed reading your blog. You have motivate me to want to start cooking more again, maybe after our new little addition gets bigger :) Since you have been doing all this wonderful cooking, I was thinking you need a few new wonderful cooking gadgets so let me know if you are interested in any Pampered Chef. We have a new catalog coming out in a few days. You can get some free/discounted products if you do a catalog show...just an idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used up one of my tomatoes in homemade salsa that was delicious. The recipe's on my Facebook page, if you want it. I may have to try tomato pie. I've never had it, but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete