Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My favorite pie

It's pie week, as declared by the Pioneer Woman, and Thanksgiving is coming up next week. So I thought I would share my family's favorite pie.

It's a classic chocolate pie, excellent with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or straight out of the pie plate. My siblings and I call it Buffy Pie after my maternal grandmother. I think we came up with that name more out of her love for chocolate than her baking. For as long as I can remember, my grandmother used her oven for storage, rather than cooking.

Buffy Pie
(originally from the Huntsville Heritage Cookbook, copyright 1967)
1 stick butter
¼ cup cocoa
2 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
¼ cup sifted flour
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (We leave these out.)

10 inch unbaked pie shell (Mrs. Smith’s pie crusts work great.)

Blend cocoa into melted butter. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and pour
into pie shell. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool.

1 comment:

  1. I won't go as far to say that Buffy loved cooking or baking, but I remember her making this pie for us. Buffy pie, squash casserole and frozen Rich's doughnuts are the things I remember eating at her house. Speaking of which, I think I could eat a box of those frozen doughnuts right now. . .

    ReplyDelete