Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter

This is a bit delayed and not really coherent, but it's what I've got.

I love going back to my parents' house and the church I grew up in for Easter, but for a number of reasons, this year it didn't work out for me to go back. After a busy spring though, I was really grateful for the weekend in town.


I also enjoyed getting to be here for the services at my church here. I was able to go to the Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday services. I point this out because there was something really beautiful about these services.


The front of the sanctuary has a huge window that is framed in a cross. I see it every Sunday, and I know it's a cross but I think it's become so familiar I don't even notice it anymore. But it was harder to miss during these services.


For Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, there was a burgundy cloth draped over it. After the darkness of those services, it was beautiful to come in the sanctuary Sunday morning and see the burgundy cloth replaced with a white one. It reinforced the message of new life through Christ's resurrection.


I enjoyed Easter lunch with good friends at my house and was grateful not to be getting in the car or trying to catch a flight back.

No comments:

Post a Comment