Friday, April 22, 2011

Faithfulness

Last weekend, I went to a Priscilla Shirer conference. I have done one of her studies and one where she collaborated with Beth Moore and Kay Arthur, both were great, but I feel like hearing her message in person was even better.

One day I'm going to look back at this time in my life and see how all the pieces fit together, but right now I'm just getting a few glimpses here and there, enough to keep me moving ahead. And her message was exactly what I needed to hear even if it doesn't make anything else clearer to me. 

Priscilla taught from Judges about Gideon when God comes and commissions him to go and lead the people against the Midianites. One of the points of her message is that God showed up when Gideon was faithfully doing what he needed to do in the midst of crisis. As the Midianites invaded, Gideon was finding a way to thrash the wheat. It was harder because he had to hide and thrash the wheat in less than ideal circumstances. But it was there as Gideon remained faithful in crisis that God showed up.

I don't always like the place that I'm in or the things I have to do in this time, but I was challenged in believing that this is where God shows up and that what He has for me now is preparing me for what is to come.

God also commissions Gideon to be a leader for the people against the Midianites in this passage. And while Gideon doesn't see himself any differently, God sees a warrior — not the same man that he was before.

Over the last week I've been challenged to be faithful in what God has for me right now, but also to let go of the hindrances that would prevent me from following God's commission for what's next. Priscilla's point was also that the burden is not on us: When we do what we can, God is there to do what we can't.

I attended the Maundy Thursday service at my church here, a really beautiful service. And I was reminded of the assurance that God has given the ultimate sacrifice that I might have life with Him, even though I'm going to fail every day.

As all the other things in life swirl around me, I'm praying that I can truly focus on the Cross this weekend and the gift of grace we have been given in Jesus' sacrifice.

1 comment: