Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 5: Cliffs of Moher

This was my favorite day of the Ireland tour. The weather cleared, and we had sun and blue skies, it was perfect.

We left Killareny and stopped at the Flying Boat Museum in Foynes. The first passenger transatlantic flights had to take off from the water because they were so heavy with fuel. The airport was supposed to be in Shannon, but it wasn't ready so the first flights were from Foynes. The museum had a replica flying boat. I would be more excited about international flights if the planes were like that. All the seats turned into bunkbeds with curtains, and there was a separate dining area.




After the Flying Boat Museum, we stopped in Bunratty for lunch. This is where the original Durty Nelly's is. We didn't actually eat there because we didn't have much time.



And then, we went to our last stop of the day: the Cliffs of Moher. It was absolutely breathtaking. On one side you have the cliffs and on the other side there is a castle and a good view of the cliffs. We walked up to the castle side first, and then walked along the cliffs. There is a point where the wall ends, and there is a sign that says not to go further but we kept going anyway. I'm not sure what cliff we made it out to, but we walked out for a while. We were only a few minutes late, but we were definitely the last ones on the bus after that. But I didn't feel guilty at all. I was just in awe of the beauty there and was not ready to leave. And now I will overload you with pictures:










After the Cliffs of Moher, we traveled to Galway where we stayed the night. This might have been my favorite hotel. It was definitely my favorite dinner. The bad thing about the hotel was that it was pretty far out of the city center. But a group of us from the tour made the walk into town after dinner. We were told it was only 20 minutes, but I think it was closer to 40 minutes. But there was a pedestrian-only area that reminded me of Charlottesville's Downtown Mall. Andrea decided Galway is where she would want to live in Ireland, and I agree it is a decent-size city but not as crazy as Dublin.



No comments:

Post a Comment